Ford's Funeral in GR: On the scene, Day 1

Date: Tuesday, January 2, 2007.
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Time spent on location: Approximately ten hours (combined)

I'm going to forgo formality with this report. I could smash it all into an AP-style report, or even make it a nice 5-6 paragraph essay, but instead of using a format that's so... standard, I'll go with the incoherent "stream of consciousness"-style of reporting. It's more interesting that way, I feel. For me, at any rate.

I arrived in downtown Grand Rapids a little bit before noon and was surprised to find that it really wasn't all that busy downtown yet. I walked about to and fro, snapping pictures of the general scenery, plus pictures of all the satellite trucks in town for this event. There were a couple recognizable faces, but for the most part, they were all reporters from out of this television market. And I'll tell you what... For the entire day, the out-of-town guys were WAAAY more into on-the-street interviews than the local guys were. At least, at the certain times I was there, in the certain places I was at.

Around 12:30ish or so, I was walking alongside the Amway Grand Plaza, gawking at a news reporter who was coaxing a couple into being interviewed on-camera. They eventually agreed, and started the interview, when suddenly... There was this loud rumbling. And after a second or two, it became apparent that it wasn't a really loud truck. *SWOOOSH!* Suddenly, two fighter jets could be seen flying across the Grand River. The loud rumble continued. *SWOOOSH!* Another pair flew by. And another. Then another. And for the last set, one plane broke off from formation, put on it's burners and sped away. Goodness, what a noise that was! It was all practice for the 21-plane-salute for Wednesday's ceremonies. But, oh, how fun that was! Without warning, suddenly getting a military fly-over? Totally sweet.

After the noise had faded away, the couple and the reporter continued the interview. (Because I know you were dying to hear the rest of that story.)

A short while after, the Gillette pedestrian bridge (formally a trolley bride, FYI) was closed off and police started emptying out people from the museum grounds. I went up to a officer and asked him where the motorcade would be coming, and he more than helpfully pointed me in a direction where I could stand and get a great view.

I have to stop the story a second and say that the police, secret service and military prescience in Grand Rapids for these ceremonies are the nicest, most-approachable people EVER. It's not sucking up, it's the truth. They are so kind and courteous, it's awesome.

Back to the story, I took my place behind a metal gate right across the street from the Ford Museum and waited for the motorcade. For the sake of pitying the author, I took my spot at 1:00 pm ET, and the motorcade didn't arrive until slightly after 4:00 pm ET. Waiting wasn't too bad, though, as there were some fun people around me who kept a lively conversation. Now, with a gathering of a few hundred people, there's bound to be someone that you *think* you recognize, but you really don't think you know them, but that person looks SO familiar, you just aren't certain. Yeah, I had that during the wait, and, it was kind of driving me crazy. But I never did find that person and ask her, so, who knows?

And those of us who were there early and waited for hours to stake out a spot had a GREAT view of the proceedings. That is, until about 3 pm ET, when the Eagle Scouts took their spot in front of everyone. Everyone (sans me, because, I'm shy) complained bitterly and openly, grumbling that they lost their view. (Those under 5'5 were especially upset) The Eagle Scouts, to their credit, thought that it was stupid as well. They could have been on the museum grounds, or, in a different spot, or, some place other than IN FRONT OF US. But, the Secret Service ordered it, so, they couldn't really go against them.

So when the procession DID arrive (preceded by a MI state police chopper, 'cause.), the cars moved fast. This wasn't a parade, folks. They had a memorial service to attend, for pete's sake! Why go under 15 mph? I did manage to catch a glimpse at the hearse (and the casket inside), and I saw Jimmy Carter. Apart from that, they were all black cars. And after a minute or two, it was done, and that was that.

I didn't stick around for when the processional left, mainly because I was fearing that my legs would literally freeze together. So I waddled back home for a couple hours to warm up, eat dinner and relax for a little bit.

After I accomplished all three of those things, I went back downtown to view the casket lying in repose at the Ford Museum. I got in line at around 7:45, and waited in line for just over four hours. Which, mind you, was actually excellent, because police were warning people that it would be a six hour wait. They must have found a way to speed up the lines, because, four hours is DEFINITELY not six hours. And I heard some people were in line for as long as eight hours. And I also heard a rumour in the crowd that Terry Lynn Land, Michigan's Secretary of State, stood in line with the 'common folk', which I can so totally see her doing, and that makes her even more awesome. If true. Thankfully, I was surrounded by really cool, fun people, none of whom I ever learned their names, but we had a nice time chatting in line. Which was nice, especially when the line was outside, because it was COLD. Not only was it cold, but it was windy, AND the wind is amplified by the Grand River, so... Everyone was complaining. (Like complaining will change anything, but.... It helps relieve short-term stress, so it's worth it.)

For a while, the line to get inside the Ford Museum snakes through the new Convention Center. I made a very crude drawing of how the lines were set up. This stage probably took 1 1/2, maybe 2 hours to get through.

Around midnight, I finally got inside the Ford Museum and viewed the casket laying in repose. The most incredible part of this sight are the guards who are standing at attention. I saw one soldier blink, and that was the only indication I had that they were real, live human beings and not wax statues, because they did not move ONE. MUSCLE. It was really a incredible sight to behold. Even though I probably only saw the casket for about thirty seconds, it was definitely worth the wait. It was pretty awe-inspiring.

I wasn't interviewed by any news media during the entire day, but I saw dozens being interviewed all over the museum grounds and the surrounding area. Maybe on Day 2.

... I *think* that's pretty much all the relevant details from that day. Okay, well, time for some sleep, then I'm back in Grand Rapids on Wednesday to see the motorcade again, and, more importantly, to see the 21-plane fly-over. Enjoy the day!

No comments: