The SAG Awards: Hour 2

The following has been pre-recorded:
So it turns out I have a lot to say about the SAG awards. So I'll continue the LIVE blogging for the second hour in a seperate posts, just to break it up a little!

9:02 - This is quite a lengthy tribute video to Shirley Temple Black! But I guess she has lived quite a full life, so I'll excuse it.
9:03 - Jamie Lee Curtis trips up a bit walking out on stage. But she's OK. She talks about Shirley's career. She thanks Shirley Temple Black for her acting and personal career. She then gives the stage to Shirley, who takes the award. Everybody gives Shirley a standing ovation.
9:06 - "Thank you very much," she says. "I'm out of breath, this is exciting!" She talks about how great it is to have been an actress, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, and a diplomat. She says that for those striving to get the lifetime achievement award to "start early".
9:08 - Commercial break. *double sigh*
9:12 - We're back!!! We're introducing a commercial for Capote, nominated for best motion picture ensamble.
9:14 - Nominees for best supporting male actor in a film. And the award goes to... Paul Giamati for Cinderella Man.
9:16 - He's thankful, but composed, which is refreshing.
9:17 - Samuel L. Jackson comes out to introduce a memorial package.
9:21 - Tribute ends, fade to commercial.
9:26 - We're back! Time for a "Screen Actors Guild Memorable Moment"; Jamie Foxx goofing up his lines from last year's award show. It's pretty funny!
9:28 - Introducing a commercial for Good Night, & Good Luck, nominated for best ensamble motion picture.
9:30 - Introducing the nominees for best female actress in a TV movie or miniseries. S. Epatha Merckerson wins the award. "There's nothing in my head, it's all in my heart." She's tearful, but sincere. That's something that you just can't fake (by definition). She closes by saying "I want to give a public thank you to my divorce lawyer!" Oh, fine, I'll give that a "heh": heh.
9:34 - Now, the nominees for best male actor in a TV movie or miniseries. And the winner is... Paul Newman. He's working, so there's no speech.
9:36 - Commercial break!
9:40 - We're back. Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall are on stage, introducing a commercial for Brokeback Mountain.
9:42 - Pierce Brosnan now. Introducing the best female actress category. Reese Witherspoon wins. Drat, I predicted Felicity Huffman!
9:47 - Now we introduce the award for best man actor in a motion picture. Philip Seymour Hoffman wins, to no one's suprise.
9:49 - "Wow, this is nerve-racking". "I love actors too." "You guys are fabulous." He thanks everybody he knows, you know, the traditional acceptance speech.
9:52 - Last commercial break for the award show! Right now, I got 4 predictions right, and 8 wrong. So only 1/3rd correct... That's down from my Golden Globes predictions, where I was about 50/50.
9:55 - We're back! With Morgan Freeman introducing the final category. I think Morgan Freeman is the James Earl Jones for Generation X. And the actor goes to.... Crash?!?!!!
9:57 - I'm confused. CRASH? I expected Brokeback, but if it wasn't that, it was going to be Good Night, and Good Luck. CRASH?! Don Cheadle is told to give the acceptance speech, so he does. I'm glad Brokeback didn't win, but Crash was kind of the dark horse, IMHO. I'm kind of in shock!
9:59 - Time to go home, folks. TBS is about to start O Brother, Where Art Thou?. Morgan Freeman tells everybody "Good Night, and Good Luck".

So... What does this mean for the Oscars? I guess that they'll honor Ang Lee for Brokeback via Best Director (which SAG did), but they'll give best Motion Picture to Crash. Reese Witherspoon is now all but guaranteed an Oscar for her performance in Walk the Line, likewise with Rachel Weisz and The Constant Gardener. Philip Seymour Hoffman is a shoe-in for best actor, though best supporting actor may or may not actually go to Paul Giamati. But he wooed the academy with Sideways, so maybe.

No comments: