TDI Reviews TV

File Under: TDI Original Reviews
Tonight, your humble TDI Director lost a few brain cells. He watched 2 hours of television programming, trying out new TV programs.

First up was the smash hit Bones, whichs airs at 8 over there on the FOX network. (Emily Deschanel and David Boreanaz star.) In this episode, there was a gruesome murder at a private prep school. All signs pointed to suicide, except for one little muscle in the neck. Could it have been murder? Well, I won't spoil it. But the forensics aspect of this show is a delight to watch. No, really, the 3D technology is really cool. It's cool to watch. Emily Deschanel is good, but I think her character will need to develop more in order for her to truely shine. David Boreanaz is the real star of the show. He's a terrific actor, and is great at delivering witty, snarky comments. I guess this episode isn't exactly like the other 2 episodes that aired, but from what I saw, I was impressed. I'd recommend this program.

Then I changed the channel at 9 to ABC for the series premiere of Commander-in-Chief, starring Geena Davis as the reluctant President of the United States. When President Teddy Roosevelt Bridges suffered a stroke, just about everybody on the face of the earth informed Mackenzie Allen (Davis) that she should resign, so the Speaker of the House could become President. Shoot, even the President told Mackenzie to resign! But then the President died abruptly, forcing Mac into office.

The catch word for the pilot was "the first woman President of the United States", which must have been drilled into our skulls at least 20 times in the first hour of this series. No joke. But it was well acted, well thought out, and it shows great promise. The last minute got really cliche and all teary-eyed and stuff. Apart from the overly-cliche ending, I enjoyed this program. (having Leslie Hope from 24 in didn't hurt, either.)

I would also recommend "Commander-in-Chief". Except that Donald Sutherland is creepy. His character isn't supposed to be creepy, just a smily politician. But I see why people wanted him on 24 with his son, Keifer. Can you imagine Donald Sutherland acting out a scene with Penny Johnson Jerald? That's a guaranteed Emmy right there!

All in all, I was glad to see that these television programs were delightful. And really, they're accesible to just about anybody. Well, just about anyone. I mean, skeletons, rotting corpses with maggots crawling out of them, and talk of war with other countries may not suit some people's taste.

If I try out any other new program this season, I'll be sure to post a quick review here at TDI.

7 comments:

Erika said...

I watched Bones too and loved it!! I'm pretty sure it wasn't a muscle in the neck, but one of the bones in it, just for the record. The show is REALLY interesting to watch!! I missed the 2nd episode, but this one was dealing with a whole different subject matter than the first. and it helps that Boreanaz is pretty cute, too:-) I thought I'd note that since I didn't think chuck would notice, lol. also, the part at the end where she gave him his own card was pretty cute:-)

Anonymous said...

Nonsense all of it, I expect a detailed account of the OC on Thursday.

Janna said...

I have a three point comment - how orthodox!

Point (well, technically question) numero uno - Was it the hyoid bone?

Point or guestion the second - is Emily Deschanel related to Zooey Deschanel?

and lastly - Chuckles, don't indulge NL in his OC addiction. It's most unhealthy.

Charles Jurries said...

Yeah, it was the hyoid bone. Apparently, it's softer in younger people (according to "Bones"), so that was a main point of intruige for the medical investigators.

And yes, it turns out she IS Zooey's sister! They're both good actresses.

And NL, I'm not your personal VCR. Plus, it'll be on at the same time as Alias. So even if I *wanted* to watch the OC, I couldn't.

Janna said...

I knew it! I knew it was the hyoid bone! Was the victim strangled? The hyoid is hard to fracture, so when it is, it's an almost sure sign of strangulation.

Erika said...

nope Janna, he was drugged with "Special K" which induced vomiting, and the gastric acid ate away at the bone until it broke about 8 days after the victim's death. It is apparently almost completely impossible to break the hyoid bone in a young person. This is how they knew he wasn't strangled.

John Jurries said...

My, the things you learn watching TV.